Beauty of South Africa:
Called home to the Eternal Father - 102 year old
God sent you as workers into his harvest that through your ministry faith may be preserved and love may grow.
St. Vincent Pallotti
Born on 17 July 1917 in Werbachhausen, Germany, Justina was the youngest of the seven children of Karl and Katharina Metzger. From an early age, it was her deep desire to enter religious life and to dedicate herself to the Lord and his people. In 1934, Justina applied to be admitted into the Candidature of the Pallottine Missionary Sisters in Limburg an der Lahn, where she studied until she was accepted as a Postulant in 1937. In the convent she received the religious name 'Sister Othmara'. She made her First Profession in 1940 and in 1946 her final vows. During World War II she served as a professional nurse in the military hospital in Limburg.
In 1948, Sister Othmara was sent to South Africa with nine other Sisters. The ten missionaries flew from Europe to Johannesburg on KLM, the Royal Dutch Airlines. They travelled by train from Johannesburg to Cape Town, arriving there on 30th March 1948.
The 10th of December was a day of joyful welcoming of our special guests. Sr. Izabela Swierad, Superior General, Sr. Honorata Lyimo, General Councilor, came from Rome accompanied by Ms. Ingrid Hannappel, a member of our International Finance Commission - from Limburg, Germany.
This auspicious day began with our morning prayers followed by the solemn Holy Eucharist, celebrated by Rev. Father Ricardo Smuts, and which was attended by our Sisters and quite a few friends of Pallotti. hereafter many good wishes and grateful thanks where expressed to our dear Sister Othmara and all followed the invitation for coffee and tea and snacks in the dining room. Everyone enjoyed the happy and lovely atmosphere and the many graces bestowed, not only on our Congregation but to a vast number of God’s People. The Celebration continued during the whole day…
September 22 was a day of joy and thanksgiving for the Sisters and the whole St. Joseph’s Home Community in Cape Town, South Africa, where they celebrated 80 years of dedicated service to chronically ill children. Sr. Maria Landsberger, vicar general and Sr. Clementia Burkhard, former pallottine missionary to South Africa represented the General and German Provincial Administration and are sharing their experience:
“After the breakfast in the community in Pinelands, we Sisters drove with three cars to the St. Joseph’s Home at Montana. We were welcomed by community superior Sr. Priscilla Rego and other sisters who were not on duty. Then, director Thea Patterson guided us, together with a group of about 30 other guests, through the renewed and extended buildings of the facility. We were impressed by the beautiful, bright rooms for the children and staff. Everything is very practically arranged with much space. The children can move around on a beautiful playground outside, provided with play equipment. It was heart-warming to play a bit and hug some of these vulnerable children.