SPRNG LAKE, MICHIGAN
St. Mary’s School: 1954-1988
The sisters came to Michigan at the invitation of Father LeRoux of the Grand Rapids Diocese. The little town of Spring Lake was opening a new school, and Fr. LeRoux was intent upon having Pallottine Sisters as teachers. This proved to be a struggle for the sisters, as Archbishop Swint of Wheeling, W.V., gave permission for them to staff the Michigan school, but on the condition that they also staff Our Lady of Fatima School in Huntington.
On August 24, 1954, Sr.Thomasine Thompson accompanied Srs. Emilia Gemmeke, Perpetua Moellering, and Annette Crnkovich, teachers, and Sr. Magdalena Quast, as housekeeper.
Everything was in readiness here, with the school and convent with furnished and ready for use. The convent included a chapel. Many of the parishioners were farmers, and they brought fresh fruits and vegetables on a regular basis.
The winters are severe in Michigan, but snow was no hindrance to school attendance. When the snow hills grew too large on the playground, the snow was trucked down to the lake! The children were healthy, and rarely missed classes. They loved the snow, and the weather did not hinder family activities. It was a good place for children to live a lively, joyful existence!
In 1988, the sisters left Spring Lake, as it was no longer possible to staff the school.
St. Mary’s School continues to function under lay leadership.