▪ Obeying God is the key to Christian Life, said Pope Francis during his recent audience at St. Peter's Sq. To obey God means to listen and to act in His name. And this is the great Christian response. May these words of the Holy Father motivate us to listen God carefully, without delay or reservation, and remain faithful to Him in everything we do and everything say. As we strive to be of service to our brothers and sisters, let us ask the Holy Spirit for the interior strength of knowing that the Lord is always at our side.
▪ From 15 July 15 to 10 August, the Sisters of the Catholic Apostolate CSAC (Roman Pallottines) had their XXVI General Chapter with the theme: From the Cenacle to the world: Transformed by Jesus, “new wine”, we respond to the call of the Church by creating “new wineskins”, growing in fraternal relations and in prophetic witness. One of the most important events of the Chapter was the election of a new General Council. Our Sisters also actively took part in the Chapter. Sister Izabela Świerad SAC, Superior General, presented to the Capitulars and invited Sisters, speaking on the history of our two Sister Congregations. The presentation of archival photographs evoked many pleasant memories of joint meetings over the years and allowed us to look at the beginnings of our congregations. Sister also outlined the process path which we have started towards the reunification of both congregations. Sister Anna Małdrzykowska SAC, General Councilor, gave a talk entitled: UAC my Love, which was part of the day dedicated to a reflection on the Union of the Catholic Apostolate.
▪ The commission of Reunification called “Ponte di Unita” held their second meeting in the Generalate of the Sisters of the Catholic Apostolate (Pallottine) from 17-21 August 2019. The program was very concrete with objectives planned for the work of the commission members. These days have served to lay the foundations and to have the same path of leadership in meeting the sisters of the two Congregations. On Sunday afternoon all of them paid a visit to the community of the Pia Casa in Velletri, a house founded by St. Vincent Pallotti and then to Frascati, where our Founder celebrated the First Mass in the Church of Gesù.
▪ From 3-7 July a festival of Catholic children and youth choirs took place in Paderborn, with several thousand singers taking part in it. Provincial Superior Sr. Astrid Meinert accompanied the girls’ choir of Limburg Cathedral.
▪ On 8 July, all religious living in Limburg were invited by the “Sisters at Limburg Cathedral” who are members of the spiritual family at Work. Together with local superior Sr. Gertrud Meiser eight Pallottine Sisters took part in the meeting, which ended with the vespers prayed in the Cathedral.
▪ On 13 August, Mr. Bruno Schneider came to Marienborn for vespers and supper. He organizes, together with the Kolping Family in Obererbach / Westerwald relief transports to Romania. Several times we have given clothes and other things for the transports, so that now he wanted to get to know our community. After supper he reported interestingly and vividly on the projects in Romania.
▪ On 15 August, we celebrated the profession jubilees in two places: Limburg, Sr. Dorothee Reiss celebrated her jubilee of 70 years, in Refrath there were Sr. Dominica Rose celebrating 65 years, Sr. Hildturd Steiner and Sr. Lucilla Wohlfahrt 60 years of profession. In Marienborn, Fr. Wolfgang Weiss SAC was the celebrant of the festive Eucharist, in Refrath there was parish priest Johannes Wischermann. Both impressed the sisters and the guests with their homilies.
▪ In the month of July, Sr. Monica Cecot, SAC from the Polish Province visited our International Novitiate in PoliSingisi where she was engaged in giving classess for the novices and the Junior Sisters on Pallottine Spirituality and charism, she also directed Sisters on their recollection day in Siuyu, Singida. In August, Sr. Liberata Niyongira, General Councilor also visited a Novitiate community and spent time with our young sisters giving and sharing about importance of the UAC for the Pallottine and role of the Statutes.
▪ On 13 July, our Sisters in Zambia together with Fr. Tommy Luckos, SAC attended the Holy Mass at the Archdiocese of Lusaka which was for the official declaration of Archbishop Gianfrano Gallone as a Papal Nuncio of Zambia and Malawi. There were some presentations of the banners which explained about the theme of the year: Being baptized and sent to proclaim the Good News.
▪ On August 12th Sisters in Leadership and Polisingi community, Novices and people who are living with HIV had Holy Mass celebrated by Fr. Allan Bukenye SAC. The aim of the gathering was to encourage these people and give them hope that there some people who think and care about them. God loves them the way they are.
▪ On August 20th, the communities in England celebrated the 70th Jubileee of Sr. Hedwig Kaiser’s profession and Golden Jubilee of Sr. Mary McNulty at St. Vincent Pallotti Convent in Macclesfield. The Holy Mass was celebrated in the Chapel of the Home by Fr. Joe MC Loughlin SAC an Irish priest who was working in Makiungu Parish where the Sisters opened their mission in Tanzania in 1990. A few family members, friends from St. Alban’s parish and surrounding area, some residents and their families, staffs of the Home joined with the Sisters for the celebration. As a memorial of the special event two Japanese Cherry Blossom trees were planted on the lawn in front of the convent. The celebration ended with buffet lunch.
▪ In view of the forth coming Year of the Family, from July 15-23, a retreat for the young people was organized by Sr. Natallia Dremo SAC and Fr. Eugeniusz Ejsmont SAC at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Visitation of Our Families in Trokielach. The main theme was “A True Christian Family”. Young people took part in conferences, meditation of the Gospel, the Eucharist and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Participants shared in groups the thoughts and experiences of God in building happy family.
▪ On July 16th, at the novitiate house in Gniezno, Sisters: Magdalena Szymczak, Anita Łuka, Irmina Butowska, Mirosława Jędrzejewska and Łucja Dziech celebrated 25th anniversary of the first profession, and subsequently Sr. Zofia Chołubiec SAC celebrated her 50 years of consecration in Gdańsk. Both celebrations were held after the annual retreats. The Holy Mass for the celebrations were presided over by Fr. Krzysztof Biernat SAC. On behalf of all the Sisters, Sr. Iwona Nadziejko, provincial superior expressed her gratitude to the jubillerians for their fidelity and dedicated service in our Congregation. All the Sisters, relatives and invited guests extended their wishes and took part in the agape..
▪ In July our Queen of the Apostles Province was experiencing an official visitation of the Superior General, Sr. Izabela Świerad, Superior General. She visited all the Sisters in different communities and had meetings with Directors and CEO of the Hospitals, Retreat House and School. /details see on our website/.
▪ St. Mary’s School of Nursing Alumni held their annual celebration weekend on 16 and 17 August; this year was the School’s 93rd (1926-2019) Anniversary; Sr. Mary Grace Barile, Provincial Superior, was the main speaker at the luncheon and spoke on the status of our Pallottine Missionary Sisters Congregation.
▪ The members of our St. Mary’s community in Huntington celebrated on August 18th the Jubilees of Sr. Joanne Obrochta, 65th Jubilee, and Sr. Marian Ruth Creamer, 60th Jubilee. The sisters from the Infirmary, who were able, joined the rest of the community for a special Mass and luncheon. On the following weekend we joyfully celebrated the 95th Birthday of Sr. Annette Crnkovich and the 85th Birthday of Sr. Elizabeth Monsanto.
▪ On July 24th, the Provincial Council traveled to Laurel for the 2-day meeting with Sr. Izabela Swierad, Superior General and her Vicar, Sr. Josephine D'Souza, who arrived from Belzie. On the same day we celebrated the 25th Anniversary of Profession of Sr. Danuta Przybyłek. The Holy Mass was presided by Fr. Anthony parish pastor, and after all joined for a meal. Later Sr. Josephina stayed a few days in Laurel community.
▪ The climax for this year’s summer months was the Episcopal Installation Mass for Most Reverend Mark E. Brennan from Baltimore Diocese on August 22nd, as the 9th Bishop of the Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston. Sr. Mary Grace Barile and Sr. Mary Terence Wall had the opportunity of meeting the new Bishop personally.
▪ From June 29 to 22 July, 2019 Sr. Josephina D’Souza, Vicar General, held an official Visitation to the communities in different districts of the country. She visited the familiar and not too familiar grounds which she walked thirty years ago while she was in formation to be a Pallottine Missionary Sister. She also was present for the Provincial Chapter
▪ The construction of the new Pallotti Convent building is progressing well. We thank all our benefactors specially the Sisters from different provinces for their prayers and timely help.
▪ In July St. Joseph’s Home for the first time welcomed the Seminarians from Neo catechumen to do mission experience for two weeks. They were very kind to the children. They wrote a message saying: these two weeks at St. Joseph’s were great. We thoroughly enjoyed the time we spent here. It is definitely an experience we will carry with ourselves for life. Brothers: Kevin, Reuben, Diego and Emmanuel’. Once again St. Joseph’s Home also launched Happy Nappy Drive which meet our children’s needs.
▪ On August 14th, we were saddened by sudden death of Sr. Mary Virginia Fredericks. The funeral service was attended by new Auxiliary Bishop, elect with nine priests, many sisters, relatives and friends. It was uplifting moment Sr. M. Virginia is greatly missed as a community member.
▪ On 25 August we witnessed the Episcopal ordination of Fr. Sylvester David OMI as an Auxiliary Bishop of Archdiocese of Cape Town. Many Bishops from different parts of Southern Africa, Priests, Religious, relatives and friends joined the celebration. Indeed, it was a historical event for the Church in Cape Town. We are privileged of having newly ordained Bishop as a chaplain to St. Vincent Pallotti Convent in Pinelands.
▪ At the invitation of Sr. Ivet Garlet, CSAC, Superior General, Sr. Maria Dörig for two days participated in their General Chapter in Rome. She listened and experienced the atmosphere of sisterly unity of two congregations.
▪ On August 3rd, a fresher’s day was celebrated at Vidya Deepti Pallotti Study House, Bangalore. The students from different faith gathered in large number and the celebration began with thanks giving Mass presided over by Fr. Emanuel CMI. It was a grace filled moment for everyone as Fr. Emanuel invited all the students to make correct choices in life which will bring forth fruit in abundance. In the evening cultural program was organized and Sr. Helen Lourdusamy, Provincial Superior was the chief guest. All the fresher’s including the senior students rocked the show under the guidance of Warden Sr. Kochu Rani and assistant warden Sr. Emelda Soreng.
▪ On 11 August, Sr. Angela Devi, Sr. Jacquine Susai and Sr. Japamala Francis celebrated their 25 years of jubilee in the Provincial House, Bangalore. The celebration dwelt on the theme “In gratitude for thy marvelous deeds and unfathomable mercy”. The Holy Eucharist was celebrated by Mgr. C. Francis from the Archdiocese of Bangalore along with many priests. The Jubilarians were surrounded by religious, family members and friends.
▪ From July 16th to 20th, our junior sisters attended the seminar together with Pallottine Seminarians in Keshero/ D.R Congo. The theme of the seminar was “The Personnality of a Religious Person”, developed by Fr. Jean de Dieu Kambale, SAC.
▪ The diocese of Gikongoro organized the National Youth Forum from July 24th to 28th. and around 4000 young people from all the Dioceses of Rwanda participated in it. Our sisters from the Community of Kibeho accompanied the young people and gave a talk about religious vocation.
▪ On August 15th , to celebrate the feast of Assumption of the Virgin Mary, many people and many of our sisters went in pilgrimage at the Shrine Our Lady of Kibeho. the solemn Mass was celebrated by Mgr. Celestin Hakizimana surrounded by other bishops and priests.
▪ On the 17th of August, in Ruhango community, we celebrated the feast of children in the Adoption of the Heart. The party began in an atmosphere of prayer. In the morning we had a conference given by a lay member of the Union of the Catholic Apostolate with the theme “The life of Mother Teresa of Calcutta”. After this conference we had Mass celebrated with intention for our benefactors in Poland. The Mass was presided by the Parish Priest, Fr Janvier Gasore SAC. After Mass we had cultural program presented by the children from the school.
Let us remember our Deceased Sisters
Sr. Helena Szaniawska * 04.07.1934 † 22.07.2019 Poland
Sr. Maria Kämpfer * 07.08.1926 † 08.08.2019 Germany
Sr. Mary Virginia Fredericks * 25.09.1928 † 14.08.2019 South Africa
Sr. Mary Antonio Reneau * 04.02.1930 † 19.08.2019 USA